Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Contrast, Balance, & Harmony


I found this gem while going through some old photo albums. It was taken with a camera that used actual film. I had to scan this into my computer. This is the Brooklyn Bridge. At the time I was living in the NYC area. My friends and I decided to take a walk across the bridge in the cold, winter weather. We didn't make it very far. The wind was ice cold.

Contrast
The sun is going down and is creating a shadow on the bricks. It is also creating a highlight on the top  left hand corner and in the arches of the bridges. The tones of brown and blackened bricks against the bright white clouds all create contrast in this picture.

Balance
I love the suspension cables in this picture. The arches are symmetrical, but the suspension cables are creating a kaleidoscope effect. They kind of mess with your eyes. It could be the angle I took the picture. The suspension cables remind me of a spider's web.

Harmony
The Brooklyn Bridge is one of my favorite bridges. It seems kind of silly to have a favorite bridge, but I do. The arches, the contrast of color, the texture of the bricks, the time of day, the season, the suspension cables, all come together and bring a harmonious picture. Without one of the items mentioned the bridge wouldn't have very much character.

No comments:

Post a Comment