Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Visceral Response


This is a picture I took with my iPhone. It was taken on location for a documentary my class was working on Spring semester. The documentary is about a violin maker. This tree is in front of his shop. We asked him why parts of violins hanging from this tree. He told us this is where he took the violins "die". All the violins he makes a mistake on or unrepairable ones people give him get a place on the tree. He ties the violins and/or pieces to the tree as a reminder not to make those mistakes again. The tree was later named, The Hanging Tree.

I've never really thought of myself as a photographer, which is funny because I'm in the film program. I took this hoping to capture the story of the tree, but not expecting anything cool. This was a turning point for me, because I totally surprised myself with my creation. All the negative voices in my head faded away. I became less afraid and more eager to create. So, I love this picture.

By putting this picture through a couple of filters I created depth, texture, and contrast. I love how the sagebrush is highlighted and how the top of the hill has a yellow glow to it. I love the darkness of the sky and the way the sunlight hits the tree. I also like the violin piece is sticking out at a weird angle. The finished product brought the story of the tree to life. We ended up not using the picture in the film, but I put it in the credits. So, if you happen to go see The Devil & The Angel at DOCUTAH next week you might see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment